Pages

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Vegan Mayo

On a Sunday morning long before my time, my great-grandmother rose early to make a batch of her homemade mayonnaise.  She combined egg yolks, vinegar and a few other choice ingredients, and using her own secret method, simmered the mixture on the stove-top, until cooked to perfection.

Unfortunately, she also permeated the entire house (which she shared with my grandparents and mom) with the pungent, stinging scent of simmering vinegar.  A smell so strong, my mom told me, it woke her from her sleep!

When I stumbled upon a quick, homemade mayonaise recipe last week, I thought of this familiar family story.  Though I smiled at the connection this sauce gave me to family cooks past, I smiled bigger when I realized I didn't have to combine and cook vinegar and eggs!

The recipe is part of Citrusy Vegetable Wraps from Rachael Ray Magazine.  The mayo, though, steals the spotlight from the rest of the dish.  I still recommend giving this recipe a try in its entirety, especially to my veg and vegan friends, but make them on a night when you have time to blend a sauce, chop veggies and soak and roll at least 16 rice paper wrappers.  The result is good, but basically like a giant veggie spring roll.

If short on time, skip the wrap and go right for the mayo.  It's versitale, too, so even without the wraps there are plenty of uses for this tasty topper:
  • On sandwiches (I especially like a combo of whole wheat bread, turkey, avacado, lettuce and sprouts)
  • As a dip, with veggies or crackers
  • As dressing for coleslaw or salad
  • As a topper for cooked fish or shrimp (I didn't try this myself, but I think the flavors would play nicely together!)

 

Vegan Mayo 

INGREDIENTS

  • 1/2 cup raw almonds
  • 1 clove  garlic
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dijon mustard
  • 6 tablespoons EVOO
  • Sea salt and pepper

 

DIRECTIONS


Place the almonds in a bowl with 1 cup water; let stand for 3 hours. Drain, reserving the liquid.

Using a blender, chop the almonds and garlic with 1/4 cup soaking liquid, 1 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice and the mustard. With the machine on, slowly pour in the olive oil. Blend for 5 minutes; season.

No comments:

Post a Comment